Library Card Sign-up Month was launched in 1987 as a national campaign by the American Library Association. September was designated as National Library Card Sign-up Month to remind parents that “the most important school supply of all is @ your library® – it’s your library card.”
@scribesandvibes #LibraryCardMonth CELEBRATION hosted by The Infamous Cola Rum features a $200 Poetry Slam, Open Mic, and a Library Card Registration Drive; sponsored in part by Poets & Writers.
$200 Poetry Slam
15 poets perform for cash and/or prizes during our Library Card Month Poetry Slam. Poets are given three minutes to perform a poem, without props, to earn a score of zero through ten. Judges indicate which poets they prefer each round, eliminating poets each round, until one poet is crowned the slam champion.
There is no registration fee; however, poets are required to have a valid DeKalb County Public Library Card. You may visit www.scribesandvibes.net or www.nationallibrarycardsignupmonth.eventbrite.com, to participate in our $200 National Library Card Sign-up Month Poetry Slam at Stonecrest Library.
OPEN MIC PERFORMANCES
Experience The Library… Beyond Books! Showcase your talent during our Poetry Month Celebration.
- Poets are given an opportunity to recite original poems or to read a poem by their favorite poet, to stimulate interest in the art of poetry.
- Musicians are given an opportunity to perform original music or to cover songs by their favorite musician, to stimulate interest in the art of music.
- Visual Artists are given an opportunity to exhibit original art for up to thirty days, to stimulate interest in fine art.
Local educators, students, business professionals, civic champions, and infamous poetry scene standouts are invited to share their love of poetry with the community on September 10, 2016. You may email firstname.lastname@example.org, to participate in our National Library Card Sign-up Month Celebration at Stonecrest Library.
Have access to more than one million books, audiovisual materials, electronic resources, newspapers, magazines and other educational and recreational resources through 22 branches and remote computer access.
Library cards are free and valid for two years for:
- DeKalb County residents
- DeKalb County property owners
- Employees of DeKalb County Government, DeKalb County School System, City Schools of Decatur or City Governments within DeKalb County.
- College students who live on campus in DeKalb County during the academic year
- Library school students
- Business owners in DeKalb County
Library cards are also free for residents of group homes, extended stay motels and shelters located in DeKalb County. These cards are valid for more than one month to a maximum of six months.
If none of the above conditions apply:
- A Non-Resident library card valid for one year can be purchased for $45.00.
- Temporary residents of DeKalb County may apply for a card by paying a $15.00 refundable deposit. Temporary cards are valid for 6 months.
Visit your local library branch to apply for a card. You may also print out a Library Application Form in English or en español and fill it out before you come to the library branch in person. You will be asked to show acceptable ID.
Acceptable ID :
- picture ID with your current address
- picture ID without current address if accompanied by a recent utility bill, rental receipt, lease, DeKalb County property tax receipt, current car insurance card, voter registration card or printed checks
- County, city and school employees must present ID verifying current employment
- Property owners must present evidence of ownership or be identified as the owner in the County’s online property tax database.
- Business owners must present photo ID and a current DeKalb County business license showing that the business is located in DeKalb County.
You should present your own library card each time you check out materials or access the Internet through library computers. The responsibility for all materials checked out, and any financial obligations incurred for overdue, lost or damaged materials belongs to you as cardholder. Do not loan your card to others.
On rare occasions when you may not have your card with you, staff can access your library account if you present a current ID. However, staff cannot provide the library card number to you; they can help you check out your materials.
Report a Lost or Stolen Card and Get a Replacement
Please report a lost or stolen library card to any branch library as soon as possible. You are responsible for all items checked out on your card until you have reported it lost. The Library charges $1.00 to replace a lost card.
Our mission is to provide poetry activities and programs at the library for individuals or organizations seeking to celebrate library card month; during the month of September.
This event is sponsored by